Aesthetic operations are surgical interventions preferred by many people today to change their physical appearance, eliminate health problems or improve their quality of life. Aesthetic operations have many benefits as well as some risks and possible complications. These complications can occur before, during, and after the operation and can lead to serious consequences. For this reason, it is important for people who want to have aesthetic surgery to know these complications and take the necessary precautions to prevent them.
What are the possible complications in aesthetic operations?
Possible complications in aesthetic operations may vary depending on the type of operation, the health status of the person and the experience of the doctor. However, in general, the following complications may occur:
- Bleeding: As in every surgical procedure, there is a risk of bleeding in aesthetic operations. Bleeding may occur during or after the operation and may lead to problems such as hematoma (blood pooling) or infection. In order to reduce the risk of bleeding, blood thinners should not be taken before the operation, smoking and alcohol use should be stopped or reduced. In addition, it is necessary to regularly use the drugs given by the doctor after the operation and to avoid excessive movement.
- Infection: There is also a risk of infection in aesthetic operations. Infection may manifest itself with symptoms such as redness, swelling, pain, fever or discharge at the operation site. In order to reduce the risk of infection, it is necessary to pay attention to hygiene before and after the operation, to use the antibiotics given by the doctor and to apply creams to help the wounds heal.
- Tissue necrosis: Tissue necrosis refers to the death of tissues as a result of interruption or decreased blood flow. Although tissue necrosis is rarely seen in aesthetic operations, it is a serious complication. Tissue necrosis may occur with symptoms such as blackening, foul odor or discharge at the operation site. In order to reduce the risk of tissue necrosis, it is necessary not to smoke, to do exercises to increase blood circulation and to follow the doctor’s recommendations.
- Asymmetry: In aesthetic operations, asymmetry means deformity or incompatibility in the operation area. Asymmetry may occur with the reduction of swelling after the operation and may cause dissatisfaction of the person.
- Scar: Scar is the scar formed during wound healing. Scar is an inevitable result in aesthetic operations. However, the size, shape and color of the scar may vary depending on the type of operation, skin type of the person and the skill of the doctor. In order to reduce the appearance of the scar, it is necessary to use the creams given by the doctor, protect from the sun and massage after the operation. It should also be noted that it takes time for the scar to completely disappear.
- Seroma: Seroma refers to the accumulation of fluid in the wound cavity. In aesthetic operations, seroma can be seen especially after operations such as tummy tuck or liposuction. Seroma may manifest itself with symptoms such as swelling, pain, or fluctuation in the operation area. In order to reduce the risk of seroma, it is necessary to wear the corset or bandages given by the doctor after the operation and to avoid excessive movement. If seroma occurs, it can be drained by the doctor with a needle or antibiotics can be given.
- Anesthesia complications: Anesthesia complications can also be seen rarely in aesthetic operations. Anesthesia complications may cause problems such as allergic reactions, heart rhythm disturbances, decrease or increase in blood pressure. In order to prevent anesthesia complications, it is necessary to consult with an anesthesiologist before the operation, to have an allergy test, and to clearly state the health status.
Possible complications in aesthetic operations can be listed as follows. However, most of these complications are preventable or treatable. For this reason, people who want to have an aesthetic operation should not be afraid, make a conscious decision and trust their doctor. It should not be forgotten that the benefits of aesthetic operations are much more than complications.